Saturday, December 4, 2010

More Zihua and Michoaican studies




Here are the remaining four studies form my trip to Zihua.


It was a really fun and relaxing trip. I am so glad that Kathie posted that notice on the Civil List here in SMA. I did get to go fishing for half a day on one of the panga fleet. It was with Fernando Ignacio. Aother guy, Salvador (Angel) was supposed to come along to share the cost, but he had a bad eye infection and couldn't make it, so Fernando and I headed out into the Pacific. So great to be out in those big oceanic swells streaming across from the far side of the Pacific. I just love being out there in small vessels. The coastline of Mexico's Pacific coast is spectacular with the mountains crashing into the water and jungle growth on the mountainsides. At any rate, we caught about 20 Sierra mackeral about 3-4 lbs each and about 6 0r so Bonita or Black Tuna trolling jogs behind the boat. we would troll through breaking schools of the Sierras and would usually hook one or two each time we made a pass. One boat next to us hooked a nice Dorado (Dolphin or Mahi mahi) and it was jumping all over the place. I was hoping to hook into one, but we never did. Lost several fish to sharp teeth or the stiff tackle that we were using. I would have preferred to have my light level wind tackle that I use back on the Texas coast, and to stop in one of the schools to cast into them. Would have been even more fun to use a flyrod. Next time I want to take one of the larger boats way out to the deep blue waters, well offshore for bill fish. Nevertheless, it was a very fun time. I took three of the Sierras home to have cooked at Carmargo's little restaurant down the road from the Hotel Irma. I emailed Kathie to have her meet me there for dinner and to listen to Michelle Lavallee sing. It was a lovely evening. There was a young couple from New York there on their honeymoon, a couple from Norway, a coulpe from Austin, TX, and a couple my age from Vancouver, BC (he was a sailor). Of course there was Carlos and Perla, the proprietors, and Michelle and her family (she lives next door). What a great last night in Zihua!


The drive home was pleasant, but Kathie seemed to put us on all of the back roads of Michoiacan, Guererro, and Guanajuato. Nevertheless, we were back into SMA before dark - a prime concern. Stopped off to share a dinner at the Golden Dragon on the edge of SMA before getting to Maricella's B&B. I just had the time of my life - added 55 new bird species to my Mexican checklist (now at 174), saw small caimans (like alligators/crocadiles), beautiful big iguanas, and tons of small racerunner lizards, a lot of Mexican Gray Squirrels, and so many different butterflies. I wish that all of you could have been along.


No comments:

Post a Comment