Monday, June 21, 2010

Rough two days




The past two or three days have tested my resolve. You know how bad things come in threes, well yesterday at one point I was at four! Lets see, let's start with work, where the MS Word document that I had been tirelessly working on for the past few days which suddenly crashed with too much stuff. That now has me going into the document and reinserting some 200+ images. Not fun and glorious work, if I must admit. Let's see, the next thing to happen - my debit card still has not arrived from Virginia, where Carolyn mailed it, and can now be presumed to be lost. Until I get it, or its replacement, I can't get money out af an ATM (I don't have any checks with me, either). I am sitting with around $400 in my possession here in the Kingdom :( The next thing - I do have a credit card, but apparently it was part of a group of cards that were compromised, so it has been cancelled and a new one issued and to be sent to the house (Houston), so I cannot make any reservations, buy any tickets, etc. for my trip to Ireland and beyond (my flight is in less than a week!). It's all up to Carolyn to do, now. What's next? Well I managed to drop and break my new good Ray Ban sunglasses yesterday :( The BIG thing was resolved finally, but only after considerable stress and anxiety. That big thing was the apparent loss of a considerable amount of cash entrusted in me for the purchase of a used car. I took the money with me when I went to bargain for the car (to no avail) and when I went to get it ready to gather my friends stuff together for her return to the Kingdom I simply could not find the cash! I looked everywhere - rooms, car, office, clothing, even thinking that I may have left the wad of cash in the pocket of my jeans that had gone to the laundry. I even retraced my steps out into the desert and up an outcrop on the jebbels, the spray field and just every place I had been on Friday. I was quite distraught with the thought of telling my good friend that I had lost the money that she had entrusted in me. Top that, with the thought of finding a way to come up with the cash with no cards, checks, or whatever. I spent two long days in a worried fret, but finally, yesterday as I was working on a small watercolor (in the photos) I moved the paint palette and, lo and behold, the envelope with the money was under the palette. I had put it there to dry, as it was damp from the sweat in my back pocket. Did I ever thank St Anthony for his help:) So at one point, just before I found the money, I was at four, or better, bad things at one time. I am still sitting at three and Carolyn has her share with the lost phone and hassles with AT&T services and so on. Oh, do I need a good stiff shot of Scotch - a really good Scotch. Since I am first going to Ireland, I'll just have to make do with Irish Whiskey (Jamieson's), but you know, I am going to Bahrain this weekend - just might not have to wait until my trip to Ireland for a shot of Scotch :) , hell, I could even do with a shot of SID :(
Cheers

Photos from the house that I am sitting. The painting in progress is the Corpus Christi, Texas lighthouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment