Monday, May 10, 2010

I love my abode


I was sorting through my photo files and opened a folder called "519 Bayland". Skinning through the images, I was a little homesick for this beautiful little cottage that we call home. It sure did not look this good when I was there a few weeks ago - the damaging effects of a brutal winter killed most of the tender tropicals that were a major part of the landscape. I am told that the yard is now coming back, with blooms and greenery from the hardy plants that were not damaged. When I get back I will want to replace some of the voids with hardy plants, so John, you should offer some suggestions.

We live in a beautiful old (for Houston) neighborhood with plenty of trees and wonderful architecture. Our house is over 105 years old, but as solid as ever. I love this place. Our blood,sweat,and tears have gone into making this abode what it is. John and Stephanie missed a lot of fun times with thier friends, I am sure, because we had work to do on the house and grounds, but I think that they also learned to appreciate a nice old structure and grounds that have been nurtured for almost 30 years. I have enjoyed having neighborhood friends like Mary Ellen, Anna, Susie, Michelle and others bring their children down to dig for worms, feed the chickens, or build bat houses, and to help Carolyn,in the kitchen with pancakes and tea. I miss all of that and cannot wait to get back to enjoy it again, but while i am here I am trying to enjoy this part of the world like I enjoy home. I am making great friends, seeing so many wonderful places, eating some good food (sometimes)and learning to really appreciate what we have back in the Western World. My friends and colleagues here are from all over the world, and provide me with such a fun and an interesting collage of cultural and linguistical challenges (Arabs, Europeans, Asians, and Americans all). I hope I never loose touch with these folk, and when the time comes to leave, I will leave in tears. These relationships make it otherwise tolerable in this harsh landscape and climate (today the temperature was 106 degrees)and plants must be very strong to weather the summer months - that is why this photo of home makes me want to be back there working the garden and enjoying a place where a lot of different plants thrive and kids come down to say "Richard, can we have some eggs - mom is out of eggs and she needs two for dinner tonight?". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment