Friday, February 19, 2010

Saudi Sunday 2/19/10 (Friday)






Did I say that off road vehicles rule here? Holy cow, I found out today why they do rule! Right after lunch I met up with a caravan of 4WD vehicles headed out into the desert for a simple jaunt into the dunes and a cookout on top of dune in the light of a crescent moon and stars aglow away from the lights of the city. A sight quite stark and beautiful, but full of s... in my pants. A long drive out from Dharhan to the southwest put us into an area of sand dunes as far as you could see in any direction. A quick stop after we pull off the road and people pile out and start letting air out of the tires. With that done, we head out over the sand towards some large dunes a mile or so away. Of course, I am in the lead vehicle just enjoying the movement in the up and down movement of the sand front, when start climbing up the gradual back slope of a large dune heading towards the top. As we neared the top I expected to stop and probably get out of the car to just look down the slip slope of the dune (you know, the side that drops down 50 feet or more at a 45 degree angle or more, but we don't stop, we hardly slow down as we cleared the edge and the car starts it's descent down the slip face. That's when I figuratively sh.. in my pants. WOW! what a rush. We continued to cruise around the desert finding better and better slip faces to "slide " down. I was almost like we were sliding down the face in the cars. Marik, the leader of this expedition, was our driver Tess and Jeff were with me in the Toyota Land Cruiser, was a master of the sand. More of Marik later, but the 10 other vehicles in the caravan followed us up and down, over and around the undulating terrain of sand and and occasional date palm. Oh, quite fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment