Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thursday 1/4/10


It was a pretty good day today. I woke up at 5:00 am and tried to get on the internet to send Carolyn a note, but alas, the internet connection was on the blink (all day long:(), so I headed out to Kobar to the LuLu market for some provisions (honey, tea, nuts, etc.). The LuLu market is a hypermarket and has probably the best produce department in the whole Middle East - produce from all over the world. Next time I am down there I will take some pictures of the produce. I always drop by the seafood department to see what the locals catch and eat (Another photo op the next time I am down there.) At any rate, while looking and examining the fish I stepped aside to allow a customer to get in to see the fish. He was a nice educated Saudi gentlemen a few years younger then I am, in his white thobe. He leaned over and asked me which fish I would pick and I, surprised, looked at him and pointed out the small sheeri fish (I've had them often in the Aramco dining hall). He then asked me the best way to cook the fish, in rather broken English, and I proceeded to tell him one of my favorite recipes for fish of this sort (skinless filets, lightly floured, a tab of salt and pepper, cooked in a cast iron skillet over moderately high heat moistened with a small amount of equal amounts of olive oil and butter for about 2 minutes per side. Served with a sprinkling of Italian parsley [chopped] and about a teaspoon of lemon juice). He was delighted, so he had to walk me over to the meat market to show me the camel meat. From then on we started a wonderful dialogue about food and culture. He told me the merits of camel meat and how to cook it. As we were parting he said that he was sad that my wife was not here he, as he would love to have us over for a wonderful meal with he and his wife. A very welcoming event.

From the market I walked over to the corniche to fish my way back into the heart of Kobar to catch the last morning bus back to the compound. The wind was blowing hard from the south and the tide was moving out - not the best combination, but I had my rod and it is a nice walk along the shoreline, so as I walked along I would cast out into the Gulf. Caught nothing but several clear plastic bags. It is amazing how much trash we toss out as human race. All along the shoreline is plastic debris - it's everywhere you go in this world. So sad. Nevertheless the water is beautiful: clear and blue-green. Just have to find the fish. I've been told that it is too cool this time of year.

This evening a group of us went in to Kobar to shop and get a good meal. There are some in the group of consultants who stay in the hotel/dorm and leave only to go across the street to the dining hall and there are those who are finding every excuse to get out and to Kobar. I am in the latter group. Omer, Ans and I left the larger group to get some things that we needed from the souqs and just as we were getting to the shops the call to prayer started - 15-30 minutes that all the shops close - right in the middle of the main shopping time! So frustrating for some folks. We all got back together later for the best swharma and katar in Kobar. Good food! The three of us decided not to wait for the bus and caught a cab. It was the cab ride from hell. Traffic is heavy on Thursday nights (it is like Saturday) and drivers here are VERY aggressive. This guy weaved his way in and out at speeds nearing the speed of sound, just inches from the other vehicles, radio blaring Arabian hip hop with speakers unable to handle the deep bass of the music. The garbled sound penetrating my head from the back speakers inches away from my head. We asked him take some back roads to keep of the main drag - I think that just made it worse. So glad to back to the compound safe and sound. I'll sleep well tonight, if I don't have nightmares about the crazy cab ride:)

Right now the wind is blowing hard outside. There is a front pushing in and the temperature is supposed to drop down into the lower 40s Saturday morning. For sure we will have dust blowing in if it is coming out of the NNW. If so I'm staying put - inside.
Good night, folks! The photo is the local pickup truck that is everywhere here.

No comments:

Post a Comment