Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thursday (Saudi Saturday 2/25/10)

On my morning walk today I spotted, what I think was, a Steppe Eagle in a tree by the spray fields. Magnificent bird. Also spotted three or four new birds for my checklist - two were warblers and the others were wheateaters. The spring migration is starting to move just a little. Over the next two months the migration of birds from Africa to Europe will filter through the Arabian Peninsula providing birders here in the Eastern Province with a kaleidoscope of feathered friends. With the coast just a few kilometers from here and the foliage covering the Aramco compound I am looking forward to seeing many more birds to add to my checklist.

The rest of the day was spent working on my credentials and scoping out the job market. Things don't look great, so I am thankful that I have this work here in Saudi Aramco.

Something that I was thrilled about today was to find out where there was a service in the camp. Remember, the Saudi week is different that much of the world, so Sunday is actually tomorrow (Friday). Wednesdays are Fridays, and a day of abstinence from meat during Lent. Here on the compound, Aramco hires religious counselors for the expats. These counselors are able to serve their congregations just like back home. It's quite a contrast to the world just outside the gate, where only Islam is allowed. It is very strictly observed - no religious objects or services are tolerated. This has been a very strange experience living in a monarchy that is based on Islam. The world back home is so different. To get a sense of it all, two of the consultants and my good friends, one a fishing buddy, are Muslim and are on their hajj to Mecca this weekend. As a Muslim you should make your hajj to Mecca once in your life. They will come back with their heads shaved and hopefully in a better spiritual shape. (I made my trip to Rome and the Vatican during the Jubilee - kind of a pilgrimage like the hajj).

No comments:

Post a Comment