Friday, April 2, 2010

Bahrain birding trip






Great day birding in Bahrain. Headed out early today with a small group of fellow Aramco birders from ANHA (Arabia Natural History Association) to hook up with some members of the Bahrain Natural History Association to help watch and help with some small bird banding (ringing, it is called in Europe). The Bahrain group was led by Brendan, a faculty at the medical school in Bahrain and an avid ornithologist. He has personally initiated a program of bird banding in the island nation of Bahrain. His assistant, Abdullah, a LTC. in the Bahrain Air Force, had several mist nets set in a small area of acacia and scrub trees. They had captured a half dozen Chats, small warbler like birds migrating through to Siberia. We were able observe and help in the capture and the banding process. I was able to add some ten different birds to my checklist of Middle East birds. Saw the Chats, a Wheateater, Namaqua dove, Black Cap Warbler, Grey Francolin, lots of European Bee-eaters and Rock Thrush. There was also fresh Gazelle droppings all around, but we never saw them.

Abdullah and I hit it off quickly. He is a hunter and falconer. He wants me to go out with him on an overnight with some of his buddies on a falconry hunt. I am totally excited. He flies Blackhawk helicopters for the BAF and had a couple a good stories to tell.

Brunch at the Bahrain Petroleum Club was excellent (good Heinekin beer, as well)

After brunch we headed to some flats in the middle of the island to observe waders and gulls. Lots of flamingos, sandpipers and herons. Bid farwell to Brendan and headed back to the KSA.

Nicole did a great job of organizing the trip and kudos go to her. She's a charm. I rode with Peter, an IT person with Geosciences who is from Britain and about to retire from Aramco, and Julienne, an Irish lass who is a secretary with Aramco. She and I had some very interesting discussions on a wide variety of topics. I really enjoyed riding and getting to know both of them. Hope to keep in touch. Brendan, the birder from Bahrain was also from Ireland and he and I had some interesting dialog at brunch about learning differences and teaching in the medical arena. We plan to keep in touch and I might want to go back some day to vist with him and his faculty.

Word is out that I rode my new bicycle back to Steineke Hall from the Mall and everyone was totally amazed that I am still alive. They only know the freeway route, but I was able to do some offroad riding (and walking) to get there without getting on the stupid freeway. Nevertheless, it was not an easy ride in the dark, particularly with no lights and a rough offroad ride. Tess was flabergasted, saying that no one rides outside the compound - it's too dangerous! I expect to hear about it a work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment