Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday night 4/26/10


Well, my mother-in-law, Ina Cantella, has been layed to rest in grand fashion in Beaumont, Texas over the past few days. I have been talking to everyone there on the phone (since I am here half way around the world) and the reports that I am getting are so pleasing to me. I really missed being there, but these reports have made things easier.
Ina was a fine lady and very sharp until the very end. I called her Easter morning and had a really engaging conversation with her, although it was difficult to understand her at times due to the effects of the strokes on her throat and larynx. She had a wonderful life and gave us all she had to help us have the best of our lives, as well. I miss her perfectly set and managed holiday dinners and get togethers, her wonderful meals (the best meatballs ever, lentels and Italian sausage at Christmas, gumbo to die for, eggplant parmesian, breaded venison medallians, and the list would go on for pages. I miss the perfectly kept house (until we had been there for a day). The fireplace on a cold winter night. The beautiful yard and the azaleas, camellias, and amaryllas. Sadly, hurricanes Rita and Ike did the yard in - most of the big oaks are gone now, blown over by the storms. At one time, Charles (Chili, as he was nicknamed) kept the place immaculate buit after he died it was beyond her capabilities to maintain the yard as he had kept it, but she did he best.
She put up with a lot from some of us, especially, me. I was always pulling her leg about something, but over the years she knew when I was baiting her into a prank, but she loved it and over time we bacame very close. I remember taking her to the Landry (her maiden name) family reunion in Lafayette, Louisiana, several years ago. There were hundreds of people there and I think that she was overwhelmed by it all. When she had enough we headed back to Beaumont by way of the coastal highway 82 - a road neither she of I had ever traveled. We saw lots of nothing but marsh once we left Abbyville, except wildlife, but the alligators captivated her. She talked about that trip often and how much fun it was. After her husband, Chili passed maintaining the house became harder and harder for her to manage, so she would always have a list of things for me to do whenever we visited - generally simple things, but difficult for her to do - a stuck door here, a light bulb there. I was more than happy to do it for her.
I miss her now, more than ever, but I rest assured that she is in the Lord's presence and happy now. God rest her wonderful soul - great lady - Ina Cantella!

No comments:

Post a Comment