Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday



Well, today the temperature started its creep upwards. The day started off nice and cool, but by lunch time it was in the 80s. Can't wait until summer - try 120!! At any rate, today was an ok day. I am making progress with my SMEs. They are really starting to do some work on this course. Its amazing how a little attention and encouragement can get people motivated. I get involved in another course later in the week. Its a high level symposium and I'll be working with senior level, gray-beard technical folks. Should be a challenge.

This country is so different than many places on this earth, and the local nationals like it that way. Islam rules everything and interpretation of Islamic law and culture is strong. The abayah and the veil with only a slit for eyes for Saudi women seems so strange and unnatural. Strange how it is not for from the habits that the nuns wore when I was a youngster. I feel really uncomfortable around these women when I cannot see their facial expressions. The idea that husband does not want other men to see his wife's face seems awfully strange and insecure to me, but that is my Western cultural bias. Perhaps some of those women under the veil are such pigs that the guy would be too embarrased for anyone to see his wife, but frankly, I have seen some really strikingly beautiful women come out from under those veils when I flew back to England when the plane was just inches off the ground. Those veils and abaya quickly came off to reveal tempting western fashions. The men here are usually dressed in a white, gray, brown, or black gown and a gupta on their heads. I am getting used to seeing and dealing with the Saudi people in spite of the clothing, and I find them to be perfectly pleasant and professional. Yesterday I was watching a mother scolding her small son for bad behavior. She was looking him right in the face, leaning into him and to make sure he was aware of the seriousness, she lifted her face covering so he could see her frowning face. Then she glanced over to see me watching and quickly dropped the veil. Sure hinders full communication, but it is their country and I am a guest, so I will adjust. Actually, I am doing just fine with all of this culture difference, but I do feel more comfortable back home in the great ol' state of Texas, where I can enjoy studying a beautiful woman's facial features.


Good night, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment